Students or parents may borrow funds for educational purposes from a participating lending institution. The government acts as guarantor to the loan; therefore, the student or parent needs no collateral. Interest is low and repayment depends on the type of loan.
Step 1- Student should file the FAFSA (www.fafsa.ed.gov)
Step 2- Parent should visit www.studentloans.gov & SIGN-IN using the parent’s PIN used to sign the FAFSA.
- Click “Request a Direct PLUS Loan”
- Select Loan Type: “Parent PLUS” and complete the four steps. A credit check will be completed during this process.
If the credit check is “declined” please check "Do Not Pursue Parent Plus Loan".
- If a Parent PLUS loan is declined, freshmen and sophomores may borrow an additional $4000 unsubsidized Stafford Loan and junior and seniors $5000.
If the credit check is “accepted”
- Find on the left hand side “Master Promissory Note” & Click “Complete MPN”
- Select Loan Type: “Parent PLUS” and complete the four steps
Step 3- Contact the Financial Aid office for status of your application.